removing pillings

pill remover4

These are a thick pair of leggings I got impulsively in New York when it turned out to be a lot colder there than I expected back in March. I bought them in Chinatown NY (we were there for food, Kathy’s Dumpling House best wontons ever -  and I got these ‘cause we’d be staying late and it’d get even colder) and quality wise their fine except they pill really easily. A few weeks ago at daiso I bought a small electric pill remover ($2), you can get pill removers/fabric combs/fabric savers at most supermarkets, fabric stores and home supply stores.

This is what my $2 daiso one looks like  pill remover2

and I love it. Its amazing. A total life clothing saver. Just look

pill remover6 pill remover5

ALL GONE!

pill remover3

Its all trapped in here now.

pill remover1

I’m so glad I bought this, I just found out that pilling was removable last month and had been looking at different pilling removers/fabric savers online. I was going to get the fabric stone but I bought this basically because it was $2 and I thought it’d be worth a try, it works so much better than I’d expected! Its saving me so many of my sweaters that I’d though I’d never wear again because they had pilled so badly.

I’ve used this a few times now and I make sure to give it breaks after a few seconds, the thing about cheap electronics like this is that you have to worry about the motor dying out. You can also use a (new) shaving razor (preferably 1 blade, the less blades the less likely you’ll accidentally cut the fabric)  to get rid of pilling and fabric fuzz. It takes forever though and I’ve cut holes my clothes accidentally with it. . 

SAM_1578

The one I used was from the dollar store, 3 blades, sharp enough to cut holes in the fabric, not sharp enough to get rid of the pillings/fuzz in less than a dozen swipes.  It works, its just not efficient.

The Pilling remover from Daiso has not cut any of my clothes so far in my experience, I’ve even used it over stitching and designs (like the shiny zebra design on the leggings pictures above) and its been fine. It removes pillings like a dream but its not that great with removing the fuzz from knit sweaters (scarves, etc.). Still I love it, $2 really well spent. 

31 comments :

Ashley said...

I had never thought of u sing a razor to remove pilling. I'd try it but knowing me, I'd tear a crap load of holes in my sweaters D:

I need a new pilling remover though so it's good to know Daiso has a good one for $2.

Anonymous said...

I have that remover thing as well~ It's really good right~ =)

I've never used the blade method - I must try that one day~

Pammy said...

Thanks for sharing. :) I should probably look got that pill remover machine as I'm scared to use the razor.

Ai said...

Thanks a bunch for sharing this. I REALLY need something like this! My sweaters and leggings are piling up like crazy. About time I can stop picking at them with my nails ^^"

New follower~ Feel free to drop by my place as well!

herumbrella.blogspot.com

Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

That's brilliant. x hivenn

Vale ♥ said...

I have that thingie also even if honestly I don't know where I put it, I have to look for it ! I think it's useful :)
I like your blog very much, I am a new follower on google friend connect, would love it if you liked my blog too and followed back ! Kisses


http://fashionandcookies.blogspot.com

LeneM said...

Wow, that it so cool!

decimal shoes said...

thank you for sharing dear :D
xoxo
Decimal Shoes

Chelsea said...

awesome tips!

Lizbeth-Glamstyln' said...

this is a great tip!! Thanks for sharing! Just became a follower! Feel free to visit me too! xoxo Lizbeth

http://glamstyln.blogspot.com/

Sheila said...

Hey for some reason I wasn't able to send you an email...

I would like to invite you to join us at our Vancouver Beauty & Lifestyle Bloggers meet-up and networking event that is taking place next month! You can see the details here: http://vancouverbeautybloggers.blogspot.com/2011/08/second-official-vancouver-beauty.html

If you're interested in joining, please fill out the Google form on that page. If you have any questions, please send me an email or Tweet me at @maddylovesblog.

Hope to see you there!

Nunu said...

I didn't even know Daiso sold something like that! Now I need to get one cos I hate the pilings on my leggins T.T
I used to just shave them off with a razor lol

Sharon said...

WOw that nifty little thing is awesome... does it work for dog hair?

http://primpedandprimed.blogspot.com/

sia said...

great tip! thanks ;)

Unknown said...

Omg I have to find myself one of these! I've heard of using razors before but I've never seen a pill remover before. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Sakuranko said...

Really interesting..

Sakuranko Blog

God Bless you...

XoXo

Aina said...

Love this post! Thanks for the info!
Keep up the great work! Come visit my blog again!

Smiles,
Aina
THE DUSTY LOFT
THE DUSTY LOFT TWITTER

Something About Kerri said...

awesome post! i want to drop by daiso and get one as well. i really need it =)

lisa said...

New follower here, my mum just bought one of those de-pilling machines, they are the bomb! Can't believe in the past I used to try to pick pills of one at a time haha.

Love Lisa.
http://tantaliseyourmind.blogspot.com

Something About Kerri said...

hey hun! you inspired me to purchase the daiso pill remover on the weekend. thank you! i linked your post about it from my blog. i hope that's okay with you.

Despina T. said...

omg such a great post!love it :)
i am following your blog,follow back if you want dear!

Kinga said...

Love it.Thanx!

www.kingline18.blogspot.com

Lona-Jasmiin said...

Omg, I've never heard of something like this before! Seems so useful and cheap! Really interesting~~ :)

Wild Things Grow Here said...

Great post, thankyou!
http://oliviadollydaydream.blogspot.com/

grlcreative.com.mx said...

ahaah! omg!!
geniusssssss:D

there is a giveaway on my blog:D

kisses

http://swallowsfashionblog.blogspot.com/

. said...

The result is so good! Kisses:)

Kim said...

wow thanks for the advice <3 btw are you a fan of Nana? Me too :33

Hello Kitty Forever said...

omg I didn't even know these things existed!!

What a life saver indeed...

Followed for more great tips!! XD

Clara Turbay said...

i have one like tthe first one are the best!

Dana Yoshimizu said...

When I first bought my fabric shaver, I was like a little girl on Christmas morning, LOL
I loved the idea of being able to wear clothes that I had thrown in the back of my closet thinking I wouldn't wear them again because they looked so worn & sad looking. haha


<3,
Dana

neolaiaskincare said...

Really useful blog i must try the same thanks for such a nice post

Thanks
Nest Natural Skin Moisturizer